The Nest Pet Expo is a family and pet friendly activity day celebrating animals and everything they do for us! We have a special focus on kids and making sure this is a fun day for them. Check out 17 of the fun things they can do while they're here:
1. COLORING! Jack, a fellow Veteran, teaches an art class each Monday for the Veterans at the Nest. He was kind enough to design and hand-draw this coloring page for the Pet Expo! Kids can color them during the event and take them home OR leave them with us - we'll put them in a book and give them to Jack to show him some love! We'll also have some paper plate animals for the kiddos to color and take home!
2. ANIMALS! You won't find a cooler collection of animals this close to home! We're talking a bearded dragon, marmoset monkeys, kinkajous, coatimundi, chinchillas, ferrets, hedgehogs, a lizard, a HUGE snake, a tortoise, parrots, an otter, an African porcupine and more! Awesome, right?!
3. MORE ANIMALS! We can't forget the working K9s, Search and Rescue dogs, adoptable cats and dogs, hunting dogs and puppies!
4. BOUNCE HOUSES! Doggie Stylz Grooming and the Sauk Centre Rotary have sponsored two really fun bounce houses! Kruzin' for the Kidz is going to help with them - that's right - BIKERS. How cool!! Speaking of Kruizin' for the Kidz...
5. FACE PAINTING, CRAZY HAIR and TATTOOS?! Yep! Kruizin' for the Kidz is going to give kids of all ages a little style - don't miss this booth!
6. POLICE K9 DEMONSTRATION! There's nothing cooler than seeing a team that protects our community in action - talk about inspiring! Join us at 11:00 to see what the Sauk Centre K9 Unit does for the community!
7. MARSHMALLOW GUNS! Trisko Heating & Plumbing is helping kids make marshmallow guns to take home! Get to this booth early, before supplies run out! But don't worry - they'll still have fun stuff going on, even if they do!
8. ICE CREAM! Your $1 ice cream cone purchase will directly help fund the Nest! Scrounge up some change from the car or the sofa and enjoy a refreshing treat yourself - you deserve it! The Nest will have lunch available for purchase too!
9. DANCING! DJ4U has very graciously donated his talents for the day! He'll have family-friendly jams rocking all day!
10. SEARCH AND RESCUE SAFETY CLASS! Safety can be fun! Especially when there are dogs involved! Central Lakes Search and Rescue will be doing a demonstration at 12:00 AND a safety class at 2:00! They'll show kids what to do if they get lost outside so search teams can find them faster!
11. CANDY! The first 1,000 kiddos get a grab bag at the entrance with some candy, that they get to use to collect more candy, prizes, treats, etc. as they enjoy the day and visit each booth/vendor! We have Coburns in Sauk Centre, Taste of Heaven, and Dog Guard Fence to thank for the sugar highs starting at the entrance! Thanks guys!!
12. GAMES! The expansive yard at the Nest is the PERFECT place for yard games, so that's just what we'll be doing! Giant Jenga and Kerplunk, a ball pit, a rubber duckie matching game, cornhole, ball toss, animal beach balls, and lots more. Too. Much. Fun.
13. BALLOONS! A few great community organizations/businesses donated and allowed us to purchase balloons and the Long Prairie VFW has donated helium, to allow us to give the kids balloons to bop around the event with! Yay!
14. GIFTS! We have crafters and vendors selling all kinds of gifts - even some made by kids! Girl Scout Troop 171 has made paracord dog collars and will be selling them at the event! How cool! Handmade goods, and for great causes!
15. THEY CAN BRING THEIR PETS! Whatever your kids have - if they can be leashed or caged, and they're friendly toward people and other animals - can come along for the event! We love animals!
16. ACTIVITIES! Many of the booths will offer games and activities for the kiddos as they walk around - we don't even know what all of them are yet! We'll be as surprised and delighted as you!
Lastly, the most important one...
17. LET VETERANS SEE WHAT THEY FOUGHT FOR! Some Veterans have anxiety about large crowds, some will get overwhelmed by the day, and you may not get to meet all of them. BUT Veterans (myself included) went to war and fought for our families, friends and communities to be FREE to celebrate events like this! If you don't join us for any other reason, join us to thank the Veterans at the Nest for securing your kids' futures. Don't forget to leave your mark on the huge sign we'll have there showing your support for our Veterans!
It may have crossed your mind...what is this Pet Expo all about (besides just being cool)? I'm glad you asked!
This all started as a way to raise money for the Eagle's Healing Nest's new Dog House.
If you don't know, the Eagle's Healing Nest is a non-profit campus where Veterans can visit or stay to heal from invisible wounds of war. They believe that by embracing our veterans, service members and their families, we can help them reintegrate back into the civilian world and their families. The Pet Expo will be on the grounds of the Nest, and you can take a tour during the event!
The Dog House is a building they're renovating on campus (you can tour it at the Pet Expo!) that will become the home of the Nest's service-dogs-in-training and their handlers. The building is bare bones, and needs everything from flooring to curtains, to walls in some parts, and everything in between. When it's complete, 12 Veterans and the service dogs they're training for themselves or for other Veterans in need will reside there.
The Nest has been working with Off Leash K9 Training, Central MN's owner, Cassie, for nearly a year on obedience training for the dogs on campus. They've also been working with Patriot Assistance Dogs to build on the obedience foundation and advance into service dog training.
Service dogs from Patriot Assistance Dog can help Veterans by:
All of this is at NO COST to the Veterans.
So you can see why this is such an important program! And it isn't just dogs that help the Veterans at the Nest. You'll see the variety of animals - calves, chickens, sheep, horses, and even a few cats that live there, helping with the healing process.
This base idea has since morphed into the event we're advertising today - 35+ vendors and activity booths, demonstrations, games and animals rolled into a great day of family fun! Join us! June 4th, 10 am to 4 pm.
Want some exposure for your business in exchange for donating? We can do that too! We are giving out grab bags to the first 500 adults (and candy to the first 1000 kids) - we can include your business card or brochure if you like!
A few other items we could use, if you have them:
Crayons or Markers
Animal-Related Coloring Books
5-Gallon Buckets (for Pet Water Stations)
Pet Poop Bags (for Pet Clean Up Stations)
Have questions about donating? Email email@example.com!
We have a few great Veteran's organizations coming out to show the love at the upcoming Pet Expo as well! There's nothing like the Veteran "family" joining arms to make this a fun and rewarding day for families, kids, Veterans and the Nest!
Want to see what these organizations are all about? Come meet them! We'll be at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Sauk Centre on June 4th from 10 am to 4 pm!
Well, not quite an extravaganza, but close! We're very excited to welcome 4 local rescue organizations to the Pet Expo on 4th at the Eagle's Healing Nest!
We're excited to have the non-profit organization K9s From Carrie attending the Nest Pet Expo! They'll be speaking at the at 1:30 about their organization and how they believe animals help people!
K9s From Carrie works to earn funds to support the donation of dogs to people in crisis: Teenagers, Trauma Survivors, American Veterans, those living with PTSD, and more. When someone requests our help, we can get their own dog some therapy training so they are better equipped to detect their owner’s needs and offer attention and assistance. If they do not have a furry friend of their own, we will donate a dog to be their added personal support.
Check them out at http://k9sfromcarrie.com/!
Does your child know what to do if they should ever become lost? Do YOU know what to do to increase your chances of being found? You will after the Search and Rescue (SAR) Safety Class taking place at the Nest Pet Expo on June 4th at 2:00 pm!
They're also providing a SAR Demonstration at 12:00 noon! Learn about the dogs and volunteers that make up the Central Lakes Search and Rescue team and the amazing work they do!
Speaking of the team, meet one of their awesome members, Sharolyn, and her K9 Partners Jael and Levia!
Find more information about Central Lakes Search and Rescue, including how to join them OR how to help them at www.centrallakessar.org! Or come see them in person at the Nest Pet Expo!