The Nest Pet Expo is a family and pet friendly activity day celebrating animals and everything they do for us! We have a special focus on kids and making sure this is a fun day for them. Check out 17 of the fun things they can do while they're here:
1. COLORING! Jack, a fellow Veteran, teaches an art class each Monday for the Veterans at the Nest. He was kind enough to design and hand-draw this coloring page for the Pet Expo! Kids can color them during the event and take them home OR leave them with us - we'll put them in a book and give them to Jack to show him some love! We'll also have some paper plate animals for the kiddos to color and take home!
2. ANIMALS! You won't find a cooler collection of animals this close to home! We're talking a bearded dragon, marmoset monkeys, kinkajous, coatimundi, chinchillas, ferrets, hedgehogs, a lizard, a HUGE snake, a tortoise, parrots, an otter, an African porcupine and more! Awesome, right?!
3. MORE ANIMALS! We can't forget the working K9s, Search and Rescue dogs, adoptable cats and dogs, hunting dogs and puppies!
4. BOUNCE HOUSES! Doggie Stylz Grooming and the Sauk Centre Rotary have sponsored two really fun bounce houses! Kruzin' for the Kidz is going to help with them - that's right - BIKERS. How cool!! Speaking of Kruizin' for the Kidz...
5. FACE PAINTING, CRAZY HAIR and TATTOOS?! Yep! Kruizin' for the Kidz is going to give kids of all ages a little style - don't miss this booth!
6. POLICE K9 DEMONSTRATION! There's nothing cooler than seeing a team that protects our community in action - talk about inspiring! Join us at 11:00 to see what the Sauk Centre K9 Unit does for the community!
7. MARSHMALLOW GUNS! Trisko Heating & Plumbing is helping kids make marshmallow guns to take home! Get to this booth early, before supplies run out! But don't worry - they'll still have fun stuff going on, even if they do!
8. ICE CREAM! Your $1 ice cream cone purchase will directly help fund the Nest! Scrounge up some change from the car or the sofa and enjoy a refreshing treat yourself - you deserve it! The Nest will have lunch available for purchase too!
9. DANCING! DJ4U has very graciously donated his talents for the day! He'll have family-friendly jams rocking all day!
10. SEARCH AND RESCUE SAFETY CLASS! Safety can be fun! Especially when there are dogs involved! Central Lakes Search and Rescue will be doing a demonstration at 12:00 AND a safety class at 2:00! They'll show kids what to do if they get lost outside so search teams can find them faster!
11. CANDY! The first 1,000 kiddos get a grab bag at the entrance with some candy, that they get to use to collect more candy, prizes, treats, etc. as they enjoy the day and visit each booth/vendor! We have Coburns in Sauk Centre, Taste of Heaven, and Dog Guard Fence to thank for the sugar highs starting at the entrance! Thanks guys!!
12. GAMES! The expansive yard at the Nest is the PERFECT place for yard games, so that's just what we'll be doing! Giant Jenga and Kerplunk, a ball pit, a rubber duckie matching game, cornhole, ball toss, animal beach balls, and lots more. Too. Much. Fun.
13. BALLOONS! A few great community organizations/businesses donated and allowed us to purchase balloons and the Long Prairie VFW has donated helium, to allow us to give the kids balloons to bop around the event with! Yay!
14. GIFTS! We have crafters and vendors selling all kinds of gifts - even some made by kids! Girl Scout Troop 171 has made paracord dog collars and will be selling them at the event! How cool! Handmade goods, and for great causes!
15. THEY CAN BRING THEIR PETS! Whatever your kids have - if they can be leashed or caged, and they're friendly toward people and other animals - can come along for the event! We love animals!
16. ACTIVITIES! Many of the booths will offer games and activities for the kiddos as they walk around - we don't even know what all of them are yet! We'll be as surprised and delighted as you!
Lastly, the most important one...
17. LET VETERANS SEE WHAT THEY FOUGHT FOR! Some Veterans have anxiety about large crowds, some will get overwhelmed by the day, and you may not get to meet all of them. BUT Veterans (myself included) went to war and fought for our families, friends and communities to be FREE to celebrate events like this! If you don't join us for any other reason, join us to thank the Veterans at the Nest for securing your kids' futures. Don't forget to leave your mark on the huge sign we'll have there showing your support for our Veterans!